Re: 2m & 70cm Repeater question...

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

There are two common systems of coding to control squelch: CTCSS “Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System” (also called PL by some manufacturers) and DCS “Digital Coded Squelch”.  On a fair number of VHF/UHF radios, there’s a button labeled ‘tone’ which cycles the transmitter through CTCSS, DCS, and nothing.

To say that the terminology surrounding all of this is opaque and confusing would be a massive understatement.

The wikipedia articles for CTCSS and DCS actually do a decent job of shedding some light on all this mess.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Oct 8, 2018, at 8:43 AM, W7RIV <nnegrom@...> wrote:

Thanks. Any idea why my radio has Tone and CTCSS options? It is a Kenwood TH-D72a.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, Bryon - there is no difference. CTCSS is the technical name for it.

"PL Tone" was Motorola's trademark for "Private Line Tone", but it's all the same.

Carry on, sir! :-)

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM W7RIV <nnegrom@...> wrote:
I know this is slightly off topic, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I was curious what the difference was in "Tone" and "CTCSS" when programming a handietalkie. There are local repeaters here in Salt Lake City, and I think people use them interchangeably. The Frequency coordinator calls out at CTCSS, but I think I've programmed my radio when it shows the "Tone"...I cannot remember if I've programmed it when it shows "CT"

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV