Re: 2m & 70cm Repeater question...

W7RIV

Thanks. Any idea why my radio has Tone and CTCSS options? It is a Kenwood TH-D72a.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, Bryon - there is no difference. CTCSS is the technical name for it.

"PL Tone" was Motorola's trademark for "Private Line Tone", but it's all the same.

Carry on, sir! :-)

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM W7RIV <nnegrom@...> wrote:
I know this is slightly off topic, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I was curious what the difference was in "Tone" and "CTCSS" when programming a handietalkie. There are local repeaters here in Salt Lake City, and I think people use them interchangeably. The Frequency coordinator calls out at CTCSS, but I think I've programmed my radio when it shows the "Tone"...I cannot remember if I've programmed it when it shows "CT"

Thanks,
Bryon, W7RIV