Mobile Operation--a couple of comments

Peter, NN9K #2629

Mobile operation and setup can be challenging for SSB, CW and Digital operation. K0BG has an excellent site that is a good reference and good reading. Now days correctly providing power to a radio can be challenging if you have one of the newer generation of automobiles but K0BG keeps his site up to date as much as possible.

And as we know antenna choice and placement is another part of the equation that can make or break mobile performance. I've transmitted from over 1500 counties, bent masts and lost antennas to tree limbs in the process. So think carefully about your installation.

I'm partial to Hustler masts and resonators and mount my resonators horizontally to keep the overall system height under 12 feet but I still have had to remove the masts and resonators to get under some low bridges. I don't go thru many fast food drive thrus! And yes the resonators work nicely mounted in a horizontal position. With the current propagation downturn I only mountĀ resonators forĀ 17, 20, 30 and 40-meters. An 80-meter resonator can be added if I am going to be running early morning or late at night.

As you may have guessed I'm a county hunter, CW only but MARAC, the Mobile Amateur Radio Awards Club does offer awards for digital county hunters. Check their web site for all the nitty-gritty information.

So if you decide to go mobile, have fun and drive safely.