Re: Am sort of back on air....

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I second the suggestion to put chokes on all cables leading to/from the SignaLink. In my case I needed a choke on the USB cable (a choke at both ends) and a choke on the cable to run PTT to the transceiver (again, I put a choke on both ends). In my case I did not use snap on ferrites but big toroids with multiple turns through the toroid.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Sep 12, 2018, at 5:04 PM, David Rock <david@graniteweb.com> wrote:

Choke off the USB cable going into the computer from the SignaLink. That seems to be the weak point for it in my station.

David, K9DWR
k9dwr@graniteweb.com

On Sep 12, 2018, at 18:16, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it a current balun or a voltage balun? A voltage balun won't stop common mode in the least, and they're pretty common from antenna manufacturers.

Ot sure sounds like RF in the shack if it's getting worse over 20 watts. Try putting your rig in key-down mode with the SWR meter showing and slide your hand along the coax. If it changes AT ALL, you have common mode. You may have common mode current without that, but if it moves when you touch the coax, you've got plenty.