Re: Proposed Shutdown of NIST's WWV and WWVH Radio Stations

Ray Clements

Initially, I thought that the signal that regulates all of the "atomic" clocks in  my house would be affected. Then I learned that that was station WWVB located at the same site as WWV. However, there are no plans to turn off WWVB. 

I have tuned to WWV a few times to check to see that my HF receiver frequency is calibrated correctly, but that is not a routine occurrence. I can certainly live without it.

If all 172,000 ARRL members were to contribute $36.62 each year, we could cover the $6.3M cost of keeping WWV and WWVH on the air. However, few hams would be willing to do so. Many already balk at paying the $49 ARRL annual dues. If hams wouldn't pay to keep these stations on the air, why should non-hams who get nothing from this service at all be forced to pay for it through taxes.

Ray N9RWC

------ Original Message ------
Received: 05:55 PM CDT, 09/08/2018
To: <070Club@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [070Club] Proposed Shutdown of NIST's WWV and WWVH Radio Stations

David is exactly right. And quite frankly, the utility of WWV and WWVH is extremely limited at this point in time. There are numerous other sources for standard time and propagation data.

As a guy who has been a ham for over 43 years, I’ll certainly miss the sound of WWV on the air, but I’m not sure that the utility of those stations is worth $6.3M in taxpayer funding.

Mike
WM4B

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of David M (AJ4TF)
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 6:46 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Proposed Shutdown of NIST's WWV and WWVH Radio Stations

Those petitions will have no effect. Your time is better spent writing to your Congressional delegation. Congress ultimately controls appropriations.
73, David AJ4TF #1479

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.