Re: ICOM * 7000 * PSK

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I struggled with RFI causing all sorts of weird computer behavior with my TenTec Eagle/Signalink USB/Raspberry Pi setup no end.  Throwing ferrite chokes on things helped some but did not fix the problems.  Rearranging the gear helped even more but did not fix the problem.  Then one day I needed to shorten the antenna feedline and whacked about 10 feet of coax off and put a new PL-259 on the end.  RFI problems vanished.

I can’t prove the problem was the PL-259 on the unshortened coax.  But I suspect it had some problem.  It was, in fact, one of the very first PL-259’s I ever put on, so it’s quite possible I did something stupid.

Unfortunately with this sort of thing the path to solving the problems always seems to involve exhausting every possibility one at a time, until you give up in disgust, only to change something randomly weeks later and observe the problem go away.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Aug 28, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Paula K7PAX #1739 via Groups.Io <hamette@...> wrote:

I found that with mine, position was also critical. Despite ferrite beads on all cables, the 7000 needed to be positioned further away from the computer monitor. It is so small it is tempting to just set it in the desk, but in my case moving it just a foot more to the side did the trick!

Paula K7PAX #1739

On Aug 28, 2018, at 6:01 AM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Wolf,

On think I found that also kept RF out the the computer was putting a hub between the radio and the computer.  I had the same problem with my IC7410, when I put a hub in the circuit it solved the problem.  I had already put toroids on both ends of the shielded cable which did not help, but the addition of the hub solved the problem.

73
Dick - KC3EF