Re: moving on

Dan Morris - KZ3T

John — Dave is correct.  I joined the SKCC club a couple of months ago and CW is definitely alive and well.  There are over 19,000 members in SKCC and I make CW contacts daily in the portions of the bands that SKCC like to use.

As far as the FT8, I trashed that mode.  Just not my cup of tea.  I like a little more than just sitting there and letting the computer do everything (to me that is not ham radio).  You don’t even get the person’s name unless you look it up.

Now, the newer FT8CALL does now allow for some rag chew and is completely different than FT8 and they are not compatible with each other.  If I had my druthers between FT8 and FT8CALL, definitely FT8CALL.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Aug 20, 2018, at 8:59 AM, David Yockey <davidyockey1@...> wrote:

You must be out of touch.  CW is alive and well.  Get involved in the CW Ops CWT sessions every Wednesday.  I operate very little OTHER than CW.  Join the group at 1300Z, 1900Z, Wednesdays and 0300 Thursday.  The CW Academy is growing with demands for learning and improving CW.  Dave, K8CMO

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 8:47 AM Ray Clements <r.clements@...> wrote:
John

Every now and then the bands open enough to work PSK.

When conditions are poor FT-8 and CW are both viable modes as they will both operate as weak signal modes. I have many friends who are proficient at CW and still make contacts. Unfortunately, I do not have your CW skills. Although the new weak signal modes are useful, don't give up on the older modes.

Ray N9RWC

------ Original Message ------
Received: 07:04 AM CDT, 08/20/2018
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: [070Club] moving on

Disappointed and moving on

From CW to PSK-31
Ive been a ham since 1956 and copy 35 WPM CW
After CW was dropped from amateur license requirement,
CW slowly went to the way side, I was disappointed but moved on.

PSK-31
My first psk QSO was 1999-01-25 then just
eleven QSOs later on Jan 30, worked G3PLX, Peter, 'the father of BPSK' I was running one of his first applications, QRP, 21079 kHz, G5RV. Wish I had a copy of the 20 min exchange!

Who said G5RVs can't do 15m?

PSK-31 to FT-8
So one very recent day while playing ham radio, I became disappointed and ask me a question... "Would I rather sit on a PSK frequency calling CQ and wait until 'The Band OPENED' or move up the SAME BAND a few kHz and work dozens of new GRIDS per hour?"

FT-8 (and MSK-144, JT-65, etc), designed for low sun spot cycle and/or weak signal (read QRP) with decoder performance characterized in terms of Eb / N0 (the ratio of the energy collected per information bit, retired EE here) to include forward error correction algorithm.

Even during low sun spot cycle 'new bands' with magic lyrics "open"  check out 17 meters for example, 25 QSOs per hour 5 of which are DX, not too shabby for QRP on a long wire antenna.

I WAS disappointed  ;<(   with doom and gloom...
            but not now...
           ...movin on : < ))

72, 73, 88
John
N3AAZ
070, 1337, 0349

ps ... New technology (FT-8 es such) not your bag of worms,
          check out an old technology qrss, seems like bands are always OPEN there   https://groups.io/g/qrssknights/topics

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.