From: Jim K5SP <jinnis@...>
To: 070Club <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm
Subject: Re: [070Club] local VHF GROUP IN MY AREA

I am left handed, learned code in the Navy in Radioman School.  We had to copy 20 wpm to pass, I aced 22 wpm, and was working on 36 wpm when class graduated.  So, don't think being left handed has anything to do with it.  However poor hearing and lots of years not using much CW has moved my speeds waaaayyy down.
Going to look into those lefthanded items, just could not use a right handed speed key, or a paddle.  Tried using a paddle by turning upside down but that did not work so good.
Jim K5SP #483,  RMC-USN Ret.

On 7/18/2018 4:03 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Am being the "musician thing" is folklore ...   there was an old song from 60's/70's that I used to call "the  didadit song and now I can't remember the name of it !     It went didahdit  didahdit didahdididah   or something like that, hi !

Jerry  n9avy

From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
To: "070Club@groups.io" <070Club@groups.io>

Ray:

Appreciate your comments.   Sending CW is never the problem... most people top out around 25 wpm on a straight key.   The problem is receiving at 5 wpm... if you can receive at that speed, you probably copy at faster speeds.

The problem is that no one should ever try copy at 5 wpm.  What is needed is to copy around 13 wpm and they move on to higher speeds. One common trick was to listen to 25 wpm machine sent code (W1AW) without ever writing any on paper... just try to pick out letters here and there. After that, go back to 13 wpm and you'll be astounded at how slow it seems... trying 5 wpm , you'll probably fall asleep between characters !

It's sort of like running with a 50 lbs. pack on your back... when you take it off and run without it, it feels great ! It works for some on CW.

I commiserate with all those who struggled with code.  Did that for years until the light bulb went on, but it required months of daily code practice (we maybe not daily, but 3 -4 times a week ).

In sort, use whatever works .

Jerry  n9avy

From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
To: "070Club@groups.io" <070Club@groups.io>

The thing is ...  you don't HAVE to learn code,  you GET to...