Re: local VHF GROUP IN MY AREA

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I skimmed the document you linked and it looks to me like they’ve been mounting this operation at that location yearly since the 1990’s.  Based on that and some of the technical discussion in the document I would venture a guess that most of the participants are not newly licensed.  So I confess I’m not sure how this relates to being what new hams are all about, as it seems to me to indicate that this has pretty much *always* been what *some* hams are all about.  As with pretty much any pastime, it seems to me like older hams spend a great deal of time lamenting how perfectly rotten ‘new’ hams are, sometimes with some justification and sometimes with none.

It seems reasonably likely that when the third amateur radio license was issued, the next QSO between the first ham and the second ham consisted of bellyaching about what a lid the new ham was.  Human nature I suppose, but it’s not the way to grow the hobby and improve the quality of the amateur radio experience for everyone.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jul 16, 2018, at 1:32 PM, Brian (N2MLP) <n2mlp@...> wrote:

Their vhf contest handbook
If you read thought it tells there operators to run max power it all time   (they have the widest nosiest signals)
No other stations in this area can think about trying and freq about 50Mhz

This is just written proof of what the new hams are all about

         de N2MLP Brian
       Monroe County PA

<image001.jpg>