From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Stephen Melachrinos
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 6:35 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] local VHF GROUP IN MY AREA

They have to. It's their only chance to beat out W2SZ.

:-)

Seriously, though, how many of us adjust our power to "the minimum practical to make a QSO" when we're operating in a contest? Last weekend, I decided I'd operate in the Low Power category for the 070 Firecracker Sprint, set the power at 25 watts, and didn't think about it again even though I'm sure I could have made many of those QSOs with less than 10 watts. I presume those in the Medium and High Power categories did the same. They're in a contest in an unlimited power category, so using big amps makes sense.

(W2SZ alumnus)

(And FWIW, the PackRats haven't been competitive with the MGEF since the mid-1970s.)