Re: Wow EQSL !
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
eQSL does have a reward system. I have found it more difficult to confirm contacts on eQSL than on LoTW. For example, I got my WAS on LoTW a few months before I was able to do so on eQSL. For the ARRL award, I only got a printed certificate that I keep in a drawer somewhere. When I completed WAS on eQSL, I ordered a nice walnut plaque carved in the shape of the lower 48 states. Some would consider the ARRL award to be more prestigious than the eQSL one. However, since it was more difficult confirming the eQSL contacts, I am more proud of achieving the eQSL award. The eQSL plaque is proudly displayed.
I am still trying to achieve DXCC. I have confirmed 96 DX entities on LoTW. For the eQSL eDX100 award, I have 91 eQSL confirmations, but only 87 of those are Authenticity Guaranteed and count toward the award. Thus, it is likely that I will achieve the DXCC award much sooner than I will get eDX100. Although DXCC has a higher name recognition, if I ever achieve eDX100, I will be quite proud of the accomplishment.
eQSL also has a variety of other awards for working Canada, Australia, Japan, CQ zones, call sign prefixes, etc. This is similar to some of the 070 awards.
------ Original Message ------
Received: 10:01 PM CDT, 06/28/2018
From: "Stephen Melachrinos" <melachri@...>
Subject: Re: [070Club] Wow EQSL !
Regarding: [eQSLs provide] "little reward"
I guess it depends on what you want.
- a free online QSL experience that is easier to use than LoTW
- QSLs that are generally faster than paper QSLs
- confirmation of QSOs from some stations that don't use any other method
- QSLs that can apply to awards from CQ, TARA, WIA, DARC, and a number of other organization including our own 070 club (for the one confirmed QSO)
eQSL is probably NOT for you if:
- you don't like electronic QSLs at all, or
- your only award interests are ARRL (like DXCC), RSGB, or awards that don't need any QSLs at all
- you don't care about confirming QSOs via any method
- you don't care about helping other hams who fit into the categories listed in the "eQSL provides" list above.
Note that I am not trying to start an argument here. Each person is free to have their own opinion, and should make their own decision based on their own situation and interests. I just want to point out that one person's decision shouldn't be interpreted as either a recommendation or a condemnation of others' opinions/decisions.