Re: Skills

Matthew King - AK4MK

Well put, Jerry. We were all new once!

I don't think the CW tests made a license holder into a "good operator", they just had an extra skill/language available.

When I've taught licensing classes, we worked VERY hard at explaining and comprehending the material in the room rather than just spitting it out and regurgitating (another two dollar word! :-> ) it.

All of us should strive to learn something new every day - keeps us sharp!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Many of today's problem are related to quality of operators. Just because someone passes a test doesn't necessarily make him/her an operator.  Being able to build an antenna, solder plugs on coax connectors is a *skill* that one acquires over time.

The ability to send/receive CW is another *skill* that one must hone.  There are many hams out there who are trying to learn CW and some will struggle with it, but if persistent , they will get there. It's learning a new language and it can be tough for some and a snap for others.

There are also people who are partially handicapped physically who for one reason or another are stuck to a keyboard.  Had a friend years ago who was an old CW OP; Charlie was sending at 50 wpm, but he had a stroke and was relegated to a keyboard at 35 wpm... which, for him, was incredibly slow. Charlie had a *skill* which was hampered by a handicap.

Newbies to ham radio are handicapped by shear lack of knowledge.  In time, they may change that. The problem as I swee it is that testing for licenses has been relegated to "memorizing" for the test(s) and not actual learning of the subjects. In some ways I regret not having the CW tests any longer.

Have met lots of new people to ham radio over the years and most have turned into good operators. Guess what I trying to say is to cut the "new guys" some slack.