Re: 30m

Randy True

I guess I have the advantage; or disadvantage at times, of being able to sit in front of the radio at virtually any time of day and play radio. PSK was the first mode I took to and I stayed there most all the time. When the PSK signals started to disappear, I began tuning around and found the new guy in town. It's just something new. I like it. But I always check the PSK band first. Just took a swing across the dial, and there are FT signals on every band but 160 right now. Every one. Hard to compete with that.It doesn't look like the newness is going to wear off ant time soon.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 12:39 PM
To: 070 Club
Subject: Re: [070Club] 30m

It would be useful to give some advance warning when planning to operate in 'other than the usual locations'; maybe the day or evening before.  I can operate remotely from work but that requires a little prior planning.

FWIW, 30 meters has been full of FT8 signals for a long time.  I'd be a lot more excited to get on 17 and 12 meters; of course, openings on those bands are a bit more unpredicitable (and thus harder to preplan for) at this point in the sunspot cycle.

Mike
WM4B

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:28 PM, Stephen Melachrinos wrote:

 I think the point is that many (but not all) of the 070 members don't use FT8. But that doesn't negate Brian's observation that there are many FT8 signals on 30m (and other bands) when it's hard to find a PSK signal.

The original question was where are the PSK operators? Putting our heads in the sand and looking for excuses (like propagation conditions or work schedules or whatever) and denying that many PSK ops (and prospective PSK ops) are using FT8 isn't going to get us anywhere.

We need to find ways to encourage PSK operation, with things that FT8 can't do. Ignoring the elephant in the room won't work.