Re: It’s Big, It’s Wonderful, It’s HUGE!

K8TOM

Matt,

OK.  I misunderstood the meaning of the phrase from the TDW page that I quoted earlier.  I read it to mean that we might grant a real-time temp number to non-members for use during the contest in an effort to get them on-board at a later time. That route might be attractive for those on the air during the contest but lacking the requisite contacts .  They would, of course, have to apply later and meet standard membership requirements for an official number.

Since I always have at least a half dozen of these non-member QSOs during a contest like TDW, that seemed like a nice alternative to quickly point to during a QSO as an enticement to membership, e.g. try it you'll like it.

Just a thought for the future perhaps.

Sorry I misread it as having been part of the changed rules. As somebody once said communication is hard, especially when you're trying to say something.  ☺

Tom
K8TOM

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, y'all - the membership process is the same as it's been for past TDW contests; apply via the "Join Us" page and wait to be approved.

Jim is generally rather quick with his approvals and, I imagine, will be particularly cognizant of the requests coming in during the contest.

I was asked separately whether "re-working" a brand new member would be necessary to gain credit for having worked them.  Well, Yes and no....

If a new member's membership start date matches the date of your QSO, you're good to go. If, however, they aren't approved until the next UTC day (for instance, if the applied late one day during the contest), then it'd be necessary to work them again in order to receive credit. That's just a function of how the membership dates/scorer interrelate.

I hope that answers some questions!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Good question Tom.  I don't know the answers, so I'm going to ask Matt to reply to the group on this one.  He and Jim - K5SP - take care of the membership requirements/issues.

Also - I'm at my in-laws in Canada and only have internet access every now and then.  Found a public library this morning so I could post the TDW notice.