Re: Go Figure ?

Brian Wolf Leverich

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 05:05:18AM -0700, John Kirby wrote:

... PSK 31 ...

Band Conditions ?
...  or ...
Old hat ?

Seems like low sun spots only wipe out psk freqs
... while ...
same band CW es FT8 freqs work the world at 15W

Go figure
070/1337/0349
N3AAZ

It's possible that there's something subtle going on with CW and FT8.

Whether or not a QSO is possible is a function of the characteristics of the
stations at *both* ends of the ether.

*You* may be using 15W and even a wire antenna, but the *other* guy may be
using a kilowatt or more and stacked yagis on a 240' tower.

I usually run 100W on CW and FT8 and have passable transmit and receive
antennas at a semi-rural QTH. I am prolly about to start routinely running
about 400-500W on FT8, because my average signal report is about 6db down from
how I can hear other stations with my station.

Part of the reason why we can't talk on PSK may be that we have a pretty
strong anti-QRO ethic, so I don't know how many big-gun stations even try to
play.

OTOH, given the technical characteristics of PSK, we may not be able to
tolerate a mixed QRP and QRO environment like CW and FT8 do ...

<shrug>

73 de WA6I (Wolf)