Re: Antenna tuner suggestions / help

Mike Besemer - WM4B #348 <mwbesemer@...>

I ran 575 feet as a loop - direct fed with coax.  Probably shouldn't have worked, but it was wonderful!

Mike

WM4B

On March 26, 2018 at 8:25 PM "Brian (N2MLP)" <n2mlp@...> wrote:

I RUN A 560 WIRE

Great on 10-160M

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

From: "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...>
Date: 3/19/18 2:01 pm
To: 070Club@groups.io

Martin:

You could try looking at a few hamfests in your area this spring/summer.  Have heard that  some tuners rated at 100 watts aren't really 100 watt units; same goes for some of the 300 watt units. In others words, you might let the smoke out. My tendency would be to go after something rated at a KW because it's built a bit more heavy duty and the parts will hopefully stand up better in case you run into high SWRs.  I picked up a Vectronics (original, not MFJ) HF-1500 for about $250 and it seems to work well. Always invest in the best you can afford so you don't have to spend more bucks later.

Some of the other brands out there are older, but just as good:  E.F. Johnson, Drake, etc.

Good luck !

Jerry N9AVY