Re: Mobile Installations

Jerry N9AVY

Had an Uncle (ex-W0KIA - SK)  up in NDak who worked at weather station at airport.  He used to take some weather balloons and hook a wire to them... think wired was around 1500 ft (?)  ... and loaded that up. Guess it worked well as long as there wasn't a lot of air traffic.

Jerry  n9avy

From: Jim K5SP <jinnis@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] Mobile Installations

Better than a slingshot, I used a drone to get my wire up and over a tree, worked like a charm.
Jim, K5SP

On 3/20/2018 3:28 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Unfortunately, the site seems more about mobile than portable which I believe is what Byron was asking.

Perhaps some sort of collapsible mast with a hunk of wire running up  or maybe a couple masts to hold up a dipole or some other antenna. There are a few commercial models available. If I was to go portable I have a 25 foot surveyor's pole that would hold up a wire; think I also have a long painter's pole.

Shooting a wire up with an air powered spud gun or slingshot into a tree might also work, but sometimes trees are available. Had a friend several year ago who installed a commerical telescoping mast (like TV stations use for remotes)...  saw one at Dayton years ago with a price tag of $4000 !   My friend's was installed in his RV  and held a tribander; recall someone else who had similar set up down in GA.  But  these are pricey and not something readily available to us.

I'd be all for a cheap and simple set up that would do the trick. Also remember seeing a 20m portable beam made from a couple fishing poles on the net a couple years back.  Fibre glass poles were cheap and collapsible. Wish I could remember the site.  Probably best to Google "portable antennas".

My 2 cents worth'

Jerry   n9avy