Re: Mobile Installations

Mike Flowers

>>> I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. - Bryon, W7RIV

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:29 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Mobile Installations

Unfortunately, the site seems more about mobile than portable which I believe is what Byron was asking.

Perhaps some sort of collapsible mast with a hunk of wire running up  or maybe a couple masts to hold up a dipole or some other antenna. There are a few commercial models available. If I was to go portable I have a 25 foot surveyor's pole that would hold up a wire; think I also have a long painter's pole.

Shooting a wire up with an air powered spud gun or slingshot into a tree might also work, but sometimes trees are available. Had a friend several year ago who installed a commerical telescoping mast (like TV stations use for remotes)...  saw one at Dayton years ago with a price tag of $4000 !   My friend's was installed in his RV  and held a tribander; recall someone else who had similar set up down in GA.  But  these are pricey and not something readily available to us.

I'd be all for a cheap and simple set up that would do the trick. Also remember seeing a 20m portable beam made from a couple fishing poles on the net a couple years back.  Fibre glass poles were cheap and collapsible. Wish I could remember the site.  Probably best to Google "portable antennas".

My 2 cents worth'

Jerry   n9avy

Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] Mobile Installations

Hi Bryon,

Here’s a great website:  http://www.k0bg.com/

It’s almost ‘Amateur Radio Mobile Central’ – maybe even too much mobile information.   Lot’s of ideas there …

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> On Behalf Of W7RIV
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:57 AM
Subject: [070Club] Mobile Installations

I would like to do more mobile operating for a few reasons. I would like to help the club out and get more Grids on the air for individuals. I find this a fun activity, but sometimes to do a portable setup it is just painful. 

I've been looking at antennas, and there are just a million options and some they are very proud of them and the cost is insane. Is there a cost sensitive antenna that would work well for HF?

I'm also looking for an easy way to mount my Elecraft KX3 in my Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your input,

Bryon, W7RIV

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.