Re: Antenna tuner suggestions / help

JEFF WALSH

Tom .... all good advice ...... my shop is a engineered structure ....all metal prefab ..... I weld and use cutting torches in it ......didn't want the fire risk....... with a wind loading of 150mph ..... not a wood structure with corrugated tin roofing .... it looks like a Quanset style hut .....  My XYL and myself assembled it in our younger days ...... still have nightmares about over 4000 nuts and bolts used to assemble it .... electrically it is considered to be one piece ... works great a as faraday cage .... cel phone won't even get 1 bar

Tom at Zero Five said that the building should work just fine to work the antenna off of 

JEFF WALSH
W3WMU
BUBBAWOOD
WORLDWIDE HEADQUARTERS
STURGIS, MS.

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:53 PM, K8TOM <tsingle@...> wrote:

Jeff,

The metal structure mounting in lieu of wire radials can work well, if you have that option.  As I think I have mentioned before, I mounted a Hustler 6BTV on top of my metal roofed barn at about 40 feet above the dirt.   The antenna and its support are bonded to the metal roof. 

I checked the continuity of the roof (between the "tin roof" sheets) before I went that route, and I recommend that you do that check prior to committing to this configuration.  The RF continuity between the "tin roof" sheets seemed good, so I went for it. 

Within a few months I managed to get almost all of my initial DXCC contacts with that vertical and it is still the antenna that I use 75% of the time vs the beam. YMMV.

Tom
K8TOM

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.