Re: Antenna tuner suggestions / help

K8TOM

Jeff,

The metal structure mounting in lieu of wire radials can work well, if you have that option.  As I think I have mentioned before, I mounted a Hustler 6BTV on top of my metal roofed barn at about 40 feet above the dirt.   The antenna and its support are bonded to the metal roof.

I checked the continuity of the roof (between the "tin roof" sheets) before I went that route, and I recommend that you do that check prior to committing to this configuration.  The RF continuity between the "tin roof" sheets seemed good, so I went for it.

Within a few months I managed to get almost all of my initial DXCC contacts with that vertical and it is still the antenna that I use 75% of the time vs the beam. YMMV.

Tom
K8TOM