Re: 40m in IL

Jerry N9AVY

Know how that feels.  Used to get on the air before sunrise and work  lots of DX, but that all changed with propagationI was so used to working wall to wall DX on 20/17/15/12/10m that I was jumping band to band.  Haven't heard a PSK signal on 17m in months.

20m was packed and I would slide down toward 14.069 and work lots of stations. Like I said 14.070 to 14.072 was wall to wal.

Was great to finally work you Sherri. Hope to see you in St Pat's Contest.

Jerry
n9avy

To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] 40m in IL

Hi, Jerry! It was really great to work you! I saw you call sign and was like "hey I know that guy!" Haha! Yeah, there wasn't much going on PSK yesterday. Looked like a fair number of stations on today, but no one returning CQ nor my answers to their CQ. Even FT8 was awful for me today. Got 1 QSO after a total of an hour to hour and a half of working the radio today. So awful because it was raining, then sleeting, then snowing today, which means I was stuck inside with no joy on the air. Sad. 

Sherri, WB4OSU 

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018, 11:18 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Not looking good today.   Had a nice ragchew with a station in Arkansas because there was no one else on.  Then work a couple others, but copy was very rough !!!  Got a station is ID who was about 10% copy and then worked Sheri, WB4OSU, in NC ... yippee a new 070 #  !!! 

Meanwhile, every time I looked at 20m it was full of weird signals which I assumed to be PSK63 for whatever contest is in progress. Don't have whatever mode it is; so been staying on 40m which turns out to provide some interesting & surprising contacts although with a lot of deep fading. With the shape 40m is in now, I assume QRP is probably not a great idea because I could see traces and partial calls on waterfall, but just not enough to make a QSO. BTW , am running auto CQ when you see  my call 3 times and it will not unlock on really weak signals... nature of the beast I guess.

40m was lokking good this last week with signals coming in around 1300 - 1400 UTC. Sure hope to make a few more contacts before summer static makes it even worse.

Jerry  n9avy

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.