Re: Special Event Calls and Cards

Ah, Joe...

It still is...

I usually start at 7.001 & slowly explore up to 7.150 or so...

I need to work on my 75/80 mtr. antenna...something happened to the delta match in the last Santa Ana winds...

I've just brought my MixW icon.cfg & Icon folder up to date, and there's a lot of folks I need for LONP.

And with St Paddy's and TDW coming up, I want everything playing good...

I actually won Top Dog for St Patty's in 2011, using my old call, W6QE and I have a nice custom made plaque made by Karen, W4KRN.

It's too late at night to get my way-back machine going a 2nd night in a row...

Milt.

N6MG

070-650

LONP #76

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:29 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Special Event Calls and Cards

Milt,

Nothing like the warm glow of tubes on a cold winter night lookin fer DX.

Yeah it was fun.

Joe

KA1PPV  #1482

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 06:46 PM, Milton Garb wrote:

I agree whole heartedly with the gentleman farmer from the great state of Washington, Tom.

I've commented on this several times in the past, and will point out again; "back in the day", a paper qsl card was the final "thank you" for a QSO... 

Also of note in this by gone era is the courtesy that a ham would extend to other hams.

No internet...no LotW, no eQsl...no qrz.com. We had and used was the National Traffic System, but SSB and CW.

Ex: If we heard that a ham in a neighboring community, or across the world, had an ill wife, or was ill themselves? Send him or her a get well card in the mail...

It also worked when you heard of congratulatory events...

Ahhhh, yes, the good ol' days!...Tubes, straight keys, a series fed Hartley oscillator with a #45 Arcturas valve...home made cubical quads...the new experimental Yagi-Uda antenna that some guys in JA invented...(I still think we could make an HBO mini-series on what happened to Prof. Uda!)

That's it. I really get my "way back" machine going somedays...

Milt

N6MG

070-650

LONP #76

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of K8TOM
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 12:17 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Special Event Calls and Cards

Joe,

Yes, I think most of us appreciate the personal touch involved in the paper QSL.  Not only did someone take the time to honor us with the personal reply, but often you get to see their picture, QTH setup or some other aspect of their life that they find to be of note.  Future QSOs with that individual/callsign will likely be informed by the memory of the information on that QSL.

In the days that QSOs were perhaps a bit less numerous, the postage less, and the internet non-existent, I can sure understand paper.  In the present days of digital/FT8 rapid-fire QSO rates it has become a challenge duplicating on paper what the computer allows us to do fairly automatically on the air.

Tom
K8TOM

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.