Re: Special Event Calls and Cards

I agree whole heartedly with the gentleman farmer from the great state of Washington, Tom.

I've commented on this several times in the past, and will point out again; "back in the day", a paper qsl card was the final "thank you" for a QSO...

Also of note in this by gone era is the courtesy that a ham would extend to other hams.

No internet...no LotW, no eQsl...no qrz.com. We had and used was the National Traffic System, but SSB and CW.

Ex: If we heard that a ham in a neighboring community, or across the world, had an ill wife, or was ill themselves? Send him or her a get well card in the mail...

It also worked when you heard of congratulatory events...

Ahhhh, yes, the good ol' days!...Tubes, straight keys, a series fed Hartley oscillator with a #45 Arcturas valve...home made cubical quads...the new experimental Yagi-Uda antenna that some guys in JA invented...(I still think we could make an HBO mini-series on what happened to Prof. Uda!)

That's it. I really get my "way back" machine going somedays...

Milt

N6MG

070-650

LONP #76