Re: Special Event Calls and Cards

Joseph <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
It's just that I received so many really awesome cards back in the SWL days and yes Sundays and holidays were long waiting periods. I just wanted it to continue and for the most part it has.  I have some really good looking cards from all over the world and, as Tom said, when you look back at them it brings back the memory that is attached to that card.  I really enjoy that part of the hobby because I consider all those Hams as friends.  I don't know if any other hobby can boast a list like that.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 03:29 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Joe:

Pretty much the same here with QSLs.  Back in my SWL days (1958-1975) my day pretty much hinged around the daily mail delivery ... Sundays and Holidays were torture !

Ham radio was much the same for first few years, but was extremely disappointed in the number of cards not received; chalked it up to 1) other guy has no cards, 2) too cheap to spend $$ on postage , 3) was waiting for my card first , or 3) just to lazy or putting it off until his retirement. Finally figured out in a decade or two that worst QSLers are FD stations... for every 100 QSOs you might get one card. If I sent out QSLs it was worse - nada.

Used to have lots of "wallpaper" , i.e. , QSLs hanging on wall but discovered that were better dust collectors so took them down; they now reside in about 6 shoe boxes - alpha-numerically sorted in case I ever need to find one !

Sorry for those who don't use LoTW/Eqsl/Bureau/direct because they are in the minority and will receive fewer confirmations and will someday find out what happens when the decide to go after awards.  DX stations and DXpeditions have nicer QSLs it seems, but they're all good.  One of my plainer QSLs received was from Wallis & Futuna Island back in 1980's... It was just an airmail envelope with a slip of paper inside which had pertinent QSL data  and ARRL accepted it for credit !!! (Was among my first 100 DXCC entities !)

One of the interesting ones one was from a Greek station who had the box of QSO data printed on the back of an envelope. Guess it was in case envelope and card were separated the recipient would somehow get the confirmation. Neat idea.

Suppose we have to keep up with the times and that's why we have digital logs and digital QSLing. Makes sense since we are, after all, digital hams. Remember life as a QSL Manager back in 1980's when I had to search through hand-scrawled logs ... oh what a joy digital logs are !

Jerry  n9avy