Re: Special Event Calls and Cards

Matthew King - AK4MK

I really enjoy paper QSLs, and request one at the end of each QSO (it's in my "bye" macro).

I get them on occasion, but certainly not with the regularity that I request them!

Speaking of being on top of QSLing.... I'm not. I have several hundred to send out, both for my old KK4CPS call and AK4MK.  I did, however, just receive my AK4MK cards from Gennady (UX5UO) in Ukraine, so that's my excuse on that one!

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Sherri Rapp <srapp7@...> wrote:
I like getting QSL cards and am willing to reply with my own card. I keep a minimal stock of cards (less than 10 at a time that I print and cut put myself) for that purpose. I think I've sent 3 QSL cards out of about 120 QSOs. I upload to LOTW, eQSL, and QRZ for all QSOs.

Sherri, WB4OSU, #2601

On Feb 26, 2018 1:47 PM, "Jerry N9AVY" <n9avy@...> wrote:
Still have about 500 or so blank QSLs left.  Requests are getting fewer these days and most are LoTW or Eqsl.  The cost of postage seems to be getting increased every year. When I worked for QSL Bureau my monthly shipments dwindled from a thousand of more to just  100-200 a month.  LoTW/Eqsl has taken the bulk of the cards away from bureaus and direct mailing.  In time, the bureaus may all disappear.

What I don't understand is the need for QRZ and others to feel the need to confirm contacts. All it seems to do is add extra work to making a contact. If a station says confirm via QRZ they get ignored by me.  My logging program only has 2 buttons for QSLs:    1)  LoTW  and 2) Eqsl . Simplify, simplify in he words of Henry David Thoreau.

Went overboard and didn't allow for crummy band conditions when I ordered last batch of cards.  Think Barry might have waited a year before ordering cards  so he would get a better idea of how many to order. That may be what ARRL did with the Centennial QSLs.

Jerry  n9avy