Re: FT-8 Burnout ?

Matthew King - AK4MK

The tone of this thread has taken a decidedly negative turn, so let's just consider it wrapped up, please.

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:10 AM, Brian (N2MLP) <n2mlp@...> wrote:

Who not following the band plan?

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:06 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io

Subject: Re: [070Club] FT-8 Burnout ?

Why not just let everyone go wild and operate where ever they want ... screw the band plan and the Part 97.

Oh, we just created another CB band !!!

Jerry  n9avy

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:13 PM

Here's a novel idea, how about digital mode operators learn to spin that big dial on their radios?  For Pete's sake, the PSK guys think they should have a dedicated 3kHz, the JT-65 guys are using 3kHz, they could have gone to JT-9 and used a lot less bandwidth, but that didn't take off, the Olivia guys think they should have a defined frequency, the FT-8 guys think they should have a freq... and winlink just blasts over the top of everyone so that people rich enough to own boats but too cheap to pay for a commercial service can send HF e-mail and create QRM. :-)

Listening to PSK guys complain because someone started a digital mode than encroached on where they like to operate is kind of the pot calling the kettle black.

-doug

73 de AB8M

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

The problem started when the 17 m frequency was arbitrarily picked as 18.100 which was a PSK31 frequency. Overnight it was flooded with FT-8 signals. PSK31 has been driven off that frequency and I have heard maybe 1 signal since.  FT-8 has also claimed frequencies for other digital modes and has created some hard feelings among other groups.

Perhaps there will be a decline in FT-8 activity after the ARRL Grids contest is over in 2019 ?  But the addition of the DXpedition mode for FT-8 may have unknowingly tossed a monkey wrench into this, because the knuckleheads will probably start using the DXpedition mode for regular contacts which may be problematic.

I just don't see anything positive in this FT-8 mode. 

jerry

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:47 PM

I was referring more to the complaining that happens here, and in other similar groups.   You don't like FT-8?  Fine, that's your right, don't use it.  But don't complain about those that choose to experiment with new modes.   It is experimentation that keeps new people coming into the hobby, not "I wish all of these newfangled things would just go away, why can't it be like the old days?"

AJ4TF is QRT on this topic

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.