From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike W0TMW
Sent: Sunday, February 4, 2018 6:31 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] 17m PSK 18.100.....moved? #2017doubleheader

No. There's still RTTY there and that makes us just as bad as the FT8'r and others. No need to emulate bad behavior.
Mike - W0TMW #2207

-- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search
On 02/04/2018 04:18 PM, F.R. Ashley wrote:
Wolf & others,

Let me float this idea. Since PSK31 killed off RTTY QSO's, why not all
PSK31 move into the old RTTY areas? Yeah I know about RTTY contests but
they will run over you anyway. If you still want to QSO in RTTY then
do it in the same area. I was RTTY enthusiast since 1981 but cannot
remember last RTTY ragchew. No use beating up FT8, it's here to stay and
will be going like mad thanks to the ARRL Grid Chase or whatever they
call it. FT8 is not going to move up. So PSK could, into the old RTTY
area. Change name to 080Club or 090Club, hi.

Ideas on this thought?

73 Buddy WB4M

1545

No use beating up FT8, it's here to stay and will be going like mad
thanks to the ARRL Grid Chase or whatever they call it. FT8 is not
going to move up. So PSK should, into the old RTTY area. Change name to
080Club or 090Club, hi.

On 2/4/2018 3:27 PM, Brian Wolf Leverich wrote:

Grrr.

I have feet in the RTTY, PSK, and FT-8 worlds. And I *really* don't like this
idea of FT-8 gnawing into PSK-Land.

In particular, PSK is in decline because we're approaching the dead bottom of
the solar cycle, the low-noise upper bands aren't usable, and our (perhaps
unfortunate) ethic of running low power means we're mostly below the noise
floor on the bands that are open now.

Three years from now, PSK will be an increasingly vibrant mode. And there
FT-8 would be, with people running a kilowatt and a half. (Yes, they do.)

The place where there is a *lot* of unused spectrum is in RTTY-Land up
above 080. When there's not a contest happening, that's largely unused.

Even when there is a contest, moving FT-8 to 080-090 would have no
material impact on the RTTY contesting because we just sprawl all
over the CW segment anyway on contest weekends.

(Yeah, I know a few digital modes already live in 080-090. But they just
don't have the user population of RTTY, PSK, or FT-8.)

So that's what I'd do. Gnaw off 5 or 10KHz of RTTY-Land just above the old
stomping grounds of the digital modes. Doing that would have almost no
practical impact on how *anyone* operates now or when the sunspot cycle
moves to a different phase.

Cheers, Wolf WA6I

On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 09:34:53AM -0800, Rick - N7WE wrote:

Just picked this up off the eHam digital forum.
. . .

I suggest that if conditions are such that FT8 is full and PSK31 is lightly
used, FT8 "grow downward" into what has been PSK land. *If there are PSK-31
signals there then don't!* If PSK31 ops are willing to be gentlemen and
start at the low end and fill in upward that should not inconvenience anyone
except the poor FT-8 op who will no longer be "on the waterfall" unless
someone tunes lower. Radios that have RF waterfalls will show if there is
activity below 74, and others may choose to tune down 500 Hz or so if the 74
waterfall is full to check who is there. OR NOT, we won't know unless
somebody tries....