Yep.   I see it not only on 160, but pretty much on all the bands.  Old Sol must be playing tricks with us.

Mike
WM4B

On Feb 1, 2018 12:08 PM, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef1@gmail.com> wrote:

Like Rick, I find the propagation better N/S than E/W.  Worked N2MLP in PA last night.  Saw a couple of faint traces, but could not get any decode from them.  Only heard a couple of CW signals and no SSB last night.

73
Dick - KC3EF
-----Original Message-----
From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of B C
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:59 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] East, West, and in between on 160m

I would like to hear how you are top loading that vertical for 160M...I am using a Cushcraft AP8A..and can almost get it to tune on 160..well, get the swr down to 2:1 anyway..but who knows what the R and X are..It could be a worm warmer on that band.
Brian K9WIS

---- Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@gmail.com> wrote:
Can someone help me understand what is going on with 160m and the group?  Seems like up and down the east coast we can make contacts.  Jim - K5SP - just north of Dallas Texas isn't having much luck and neither is Barry - VA7GEM - in North Vacouver BC.  I've worked John - KE4JB in NY - 1055 miles from my QTH, but haven't seen Jim - 963 miles from me.  I can understand not seeing Barry - that is 2587 miles.

So what is it?  Differences in the number of people on the band in
different areas?  Is prop different N/S and E/W on 160?  Just differences in antennas?  Radiation patterns?  Differences in Tx power?  Maybe time of day?  The band does open and close based on sunset and sunrise.  I'm stumped.

The next time I rig the 6BTV for 160m I'm going to rotate the
direction of the wire I use to top load it 90% and see if that makes a difference.  If I better understood how to use EZNEC maybe I could model the radiation pattern, but that is way beyond me.  I can do a simple dipole model, but when you get to trapped vertical with ground radials, with capacitive top loading, I'm completely over my head.

All opinions and thought are welcome.
--
*Rick - N7WE*
*070 - #1602*