Re: East, West, and in between on 160m

Matthew King - AK4MK

I decided to look in my logbook to see how long it's been since Barry and I worked. It's a 2265mi trip from Hamilton, GA to North Vancouver, BC.

I got him twice last year on 20m with his VB7150 call.

We didn't work in 2016.

In 2015, we worked on 20m and 12m.

In 2014, we worked on 10m, 15m, 17m, 20m, and 30m.

My, how times have changed!  Hopefully we'll start swinging upward on the sunspot cycle in just a couple years so that things can improve.

Hang in there, Barry!

73

Matt
AK4MK
Inline image 1Inline image 2

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...> wrote:
Dick,

I observed, over the past 8 months or so, that generally N/S is working much better than E/W from here on the east side.  Used to be a slam dunk to the Euros.  All you had to decide is to whom to talk to.  Now it is much more scarce here and probably near impossible for mid and west side.  It is the same if you are trying to work stations in W6 or 7 land from here.  Barry and I made real efforts this year to link up without success.  After June I never even saw his signal when I know he was on because I saw all the stations that were talking with him. Low solar numbers are just not getting it done. There has been a slight improvement over the last month but it is nowhere near what it used to be.  I'm hoping that the ionosphere gods will again orient the electrons in a E/W pattern before we hit the bottom of this cycle.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:

Like Rick, I find the propagation better N/S than E/W.  Worked N2MLP in PA last night.  Saw a couple of faint traces, but could not get any decode from them.  Only heard a couple of CW signals and no SSB last night.
73 Dick - KC3EF