Re: East, West, and in between on 160m

Matthew King - AK4MK

I decided to look in my logbook to see how long it's been since Barry and I worked. It's a 2265mi trip from Hamilton, GA to North Vancouver, BC.

I got him twice last year on 20m with his VB7150 call. 

We didn't work in 2016.

In 2015, we worked on 20m and 12m. 

In 2014, we worked on 10m, 15m, 17m, 20m, and 30m.

My, how times have changed!  Hopefully we'll start swinging upward on the sunspot cycle in just a couple years so that things can improve.

Hang in there, Barry!

Matt
AK4MK
Inline image 1Inline image 2

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...> wrote:
Dick,

I observed, over the past 8 months or so, that generally N/S is working much better than E/W from here on the east side.  Used to be a slam dunk to the Euros.  All you had to decide is to whom to talk to.  Now it is much more scarce here and probably near impossible for mid and west side.  It is the same if you are trying to work stations in W6 or 7 land from here.  Barry and I made real efforts this year to link up without success.  After June I never even saw his signal when I know he was on because I saw all the stations that were talking with him. Low solar numbers are just not getting it done. There has been a slight improvement over the last month but it is nowhere near what it used to be.  I'm hoping that the ionosphere gods will again orient the electrons in a E/W pattern before we hit the bottom of this cycle.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:

Like Rick, I find the propagation better N/S than E/W.  Worked N2MLP in PA last night.  Saw a couple of faint traces, but could not get any decode from them.  Only heard a couple of CW signals and no SSB last night.
73 Dick - KC3EF
-----Original Message-----
From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of B C
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:59 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] East, West, and in between on 160m

I would like to hear how you are top loading that vertical for 160M...I am using a Cushcraft AP8A..and can almost get it to tune on 160..well, get the swr down to 2:1 anyway..but who knows what the R and X are..It could be a worm warmer on that band.
Brian K9WIS

---- Rick - N7WE  wrote:
Can someone help me understand what is going on with 160m and the group?  Seems like up and down the east coast we can make contacts. Jim - K5SP - just north of Dallas Texas isn't having much luck and neither is Barry - VA7GEM - in North Vacouver BC.  I've worked John - KE4JB in NY - 1055 miles from my QTH, but haven't seen Jim - 963 miles from me.  I can understand not seeing Barry - that is 2587 miles.

So what is it?  Differences in the number of people on the band in different areas?  Is prop different N/S and E/W on 160?  Just differences in antennas?  Radiation patterns?  Differences in Tx power?  Maybe time of day?  The band does open and close based on sunset and sunrise.  I'm stumped.

The next time I rig the 6BTV for 160m I'm going to rotate the direction of the wire I use to top load it 90% and see if that makes a difference.  If I better understood how to use EZNEC maybe I could model the radiation pattern, but that is way beyond me.  I can do a simple dipole model, but when you get to trapped vertical with ground radials, with capacitive top loading, I'm completely over my head.

All opinions and thought are welcome.
--
*Rick - N7WE*
*070 - #1602*

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.