Re: East, West, and in between on 160m

Matthew King - AK4MK

Hey, Jim - what sort of counterpoise are you using on your end-fed wire?  How high is it? How long is it?

Inquiring minds wanna know more!

73

Matt
AK4MK

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Jim K5SP <jinnis@...> wrote:
Using an end-fed wire. Oriented kind of NW-SE. And running about 50 watts.  Crank it up to 80 watts at times on this band, but any higher start getting ALC.  SWR is about 1.4 on the wire.

My contact the other evening was with KX4WB who is in TN, so think I am getting out East.

Have a Gap Titan DX vertical, but it doesn't want to load on 160, even using an external tuner instead of the rigs internal tuner.

On the top band, I am starting to feel like Barry does on all bands.  hihi

Jim K5SP

On 2/1/2018 8:10 AM, Rick - N7WE wrote:
Jim-

You may have said earlier and I missed it, but what are you using for an antenna on 160?  If it is a wire, how is it oriented?  How much power are you using?

Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 08:34, Jim K5SP wrote:

And I am curious about it also. The other evening I could see 4-5 stations, with great copy on KX4WB and some copy on the others.  But the only one that I could QSO with was KX4WB, nobody else would respond. It seems that in my location, since I can see/hear some of the east coast stations, I should also be able to see Barry, but no luck there.

Can we get some midwest stations on?

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director