Re: East, West, and in between on 160m

Arthur Peters

I've been watching this with some interest, as I have the "Top Band disease" and conclude  a number of things:

1) 160 is not fair, propagation can be one way (I hear you, you do not hear me...)
2) Grayline is really fun and unpredictable....
3) Antenna's are important and can be impacted by environment (what's around) to a greater distance than higher frequency bands
4) Rig can make a big difference, I used the same antenna, same QTH with my iCom746 Pro and my Elecraft KX3, I heard way more on the Elecraft than the iCom
the next year I traded my iCom for an Elecraft K3s and noticed a similar, though not quite as stark an improvement for the K3s over the KX3.

Lots of variables, part of the fun of amateur radio operations (and 160 in particular)

73 es God Bless,

Art / K0ACP

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Think it might be a combination of all those factors plus a bit of "luck".

Had a bit of luck with my 160m Alpha-Delta DX-A homebrew dual sloper on 160 and managed to work a station in Iowa running 5 watts in July one year, but then I replaced it with a "real"  DX-A  and things were never the same' in that I couldn't load up on 160m . With temp currently at 16 F  it now looks like a Spring/Summer project.

I'd suggest y'all keep trying 160 because I suspect some days on that band are hotter than others.

Jerry n9avy