Re: East, West, and in between on 160m

Matthew King - AK4MK

Rick - that's a bit of surprising news with your inverted L, as verticals dominate on top band from what I hear. For transmitting I mean... the beverages and other "different" antennas are supposed to be the key to hearing well on 160. I can't do a beverage as I don't have several hundred feet to run wires off the ground, so an active antenna or mag-loop will probably be my receiving solution when I put up my inverted L later this year (hopefully!)

What configuration was it?

How high did it go before the wire turned horizontal?

How many radials did you have?

I understand that the radial field under an inverted L is more important than on a trapped vertical, and I can tell you from personal experience that it is VERY important on a trapped vertical!

Inquiring minds wanna know....

73

Matt
AK4MK

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Jerry-

No worry Jerry, I think you qualify as "wise," but you've got to be from a long line of native born in Florida to be a "cracker" - hi hi.  Google "florida cracker."

If I'm understanding right, Jim can hear but can't be heard.  Barry can't hear.  The beverage would certainly help with hearing, but how do you deal with not being heard?  When I was using the inverted L, I could hear a bunch but no one could hear me.  The top loaded vertical solved the problem.  So was that a difference in radiation pattern, just antenna efficiency, or what?  Sure would like to help Jim, Barry and others get some 160 contacts before the season ends.

Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 09:29, Jerry N9AVY wrote:
Rick:

Not trying to be a wise cracker, but I think the answer to all your questions is YES.