Re: East, West, and in between on 160m

Brian (N2MLP)

HAVE TO AGREE

Its hit or miss

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry N9AVY
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:40 AM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] East, West, and in between on 160m

Think it might be a combination of all those factors plus a bit of "luck".

Had a bit of luck with my 160m Alpha-Delta DX-A homebrew dual sloper on 160 and managed to work a station in Iowa running 5 watts in July one year, but then I replaced it with a "real"  DX-A  and things were never the same' in that I couldn't load up on 160m . With temp currently at 16 F  it now looks like a Spring/Summer project.

I'd suggest y'all keep trying 160 because I suspect some days on that band are hotter than others.

Jerry n9avy

To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [070Club] East, West, and in between on 160m

Jerry-

No worry Jerry, I think you qualify as "wise," but you've got to be from a long line of native born in Florida to be a "cracker" - hi hi.  Google "florida cracker."

If I'm understanding right, Jim can hear but can't be heard.  Barry can't hear.  The beverage would certainly help with hearing, but how do you deal with not being heard?  When I was using the inverted L, I could hear a bunch but no one could hear me.  The top loaded vertical solved the problem.  So was that a difference in radiation pattern, just antenna efficiency, or what?  Sure would like to help Jim, Barry and others get some 160 contacts before the season ends.

Rick - N7WE

On 2/1/2018 09:29, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Rick:

Not trying to be a wise cracker, but I think the answer to all your questions is YES.

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.