Re: Hustler 6BTV

Richard Rohrer

Hi Rick,

For several years when I lived in MD, we lived in a restricted community.  The HOA rules said no “ham radio transmitting antennas” were allowed.  I put a loop in the attic and tuned it with the AH-4 tuner, so it worked ok.   Also had a 2 mtr/432 dipole, which worked quite well and had a lot of fun working VHF/UHF contests and  ran ATV thru the ATV repeater in Baltimore. It was a three story house so the antennas were 30 ft off the ground.   The only RFI problem I had was killing the xyl’s mouse on her computer.  A wireless mouse fixed that.  After living in ham radio restricted community we decided that never again.  I know that finding a nice area that is not restricted can be very hard in some areas.   We decided when we moved to FL to look in some order communities that did not have restrictions and it has payed off for use.  We live in a nice quite area, but within 5 miles of all the shopping and restaurants you could think of.  Handy when I need to run to Home Depot for stuff. 

I may re-read the DX Engineering booklet for the antenna and try to tune out some of the reactance.  I know you can determine with 259B, I just need to find out how to do it, I know it is shown on the internet. 

The next time you are trying 160 let me know and I will try and make a contact.  We are heading for the Pacific Northwest in August so say tuned for more (hopefully rare grids).

Dick – KC3EF

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick - N7WE
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:02 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Hustler 6BTV

Well Dick, I'm certainly jealous behind all that antenna farm!  Oh how I wish!

One thought - when you move the traps are you going for lowest SWR or X=0 (or as low as you can get it)?  I read somewhere that you should get rid of reactance (X)  to get resonance and let the SWR fall where it may.  Not sure what that means, but the X component is what I tried to get rid of and the SWR fell in line.  Don't know that that is right, but that is what I did.

I do notice from your readings that the lower bands have a fair amount of reactance (X value).  Reactance can be either capacitive or inductive.  There is a trick (I can't remember) that you can do with the MFJ 259b to determine which the X is.  Something about tuning up or down and watching which way the X goes.  Once you know, then you can figure out how to get rid of it.  At that point it would be back to the ARRL Antenna book for me!

Maybe someone else can jump in here and give us both some insight.

Rick

--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.