Re: Hustler 6BTV

Dan Morris - KZ3T

Never had the 6BTV but was going to get the Gap Titan (I think it was the Titan) but eventually decided on the Zero Five since it does not have any traps to mess with or foul up on me.

I have the Zero Five 27’ vertical and my SWR is:
80 1.0
40 1.0
30 1.0
20 1.0
17 1.3
15 1.3
12 1.2
10 1.0

I have 40 radials and length of all is 27’ — It was sooooo easy to set up and once I got the hole dug took me a whopping 30 minutes to put together and install in the ground.  Then it took 2 days to do the radials. I have a radial plate and a tilt mast in case of heavy winds but have never had to lower it , YET!!!

Dan Morris  KZ3T  070-1065

I live to live for Him!

On Jan 31, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:

Well Dick, I'm certainly jealous behind all that antenna farm!  Oh how I wish!

One thought - when you move the traps are you going for lowest SWR or X=0 (or as low as you can get it)?  I read somewhere that you should get rid of reactance (X)  to get resonance and let the SWR fall where it may.  Not sure what that means, but the X component is what I tried to get rid of and the SWR fell in line.  Don't know that that is right, but that is what I did.

I do notice from your readings that the lower bands have a fair amount of reactance (X value).  Reactance can be either capacitive or inductive.  There is a trick (I can't remember) that you can do with the MFJ 259b to determine which the X is.  Something about tuning up or down and watching which way the X goes.  Once you know, then you can figure out how to get rid of it.  At that point it would be back to the ARRL Antenna book for me!

Maybe someone else can jump in here and give us both some insight.

Rick