It's different down here that in the great white North.  I have to remind myself of that sometimes!

Mike
WM4B

On Jan 31, 2018 10:00 AM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Got it ! Thanks Mike.
Jerry

From: Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: [070Club] Hustler 6BTV

I live on the edge of a swamp and the area where the antenna will be installed is near a drainage easement which is prone to flooding and rapidly flowing water every few years when we have days of non-stop rain or hurricanes. Of course, the hurricanes are another reason. I've seen flag poles mounted in concrete blown over by hurricane winds, even with no flag atop. Plus, the antenna will be mounted in an area that resembles a funnel turned sideways, which really amplifies the wind speed.

Also, that is the manufacturers recommendation. I only intend to do it once, so I'd rather overengineer than have to do it twice. 6 inches of rain turn Georgia clay into pudding, so the counterweight at the bottom is important.

Mike
WM4B
On Jan 30, 2018 10:01 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Mike:

Why 80 lbs of concrete for a vertical ??? Seems like overkill unless the ground is swampy. Here I just drove a 4 ft stake into earth, which is mostly clay since contractor scraped off good top soil to sell, and mounted vertical to pipe that stuck out of ground. When I started digging hole for tower a few years back I dug down 8 inches into clay which was like concrete. and realized progress would take a year, so I found a guy with a bobcat with a 3 ft. auger... he made hole in 10 minutes. The soil here is mostly rocks & clay with a carpet of sod (from sod farm) over it.

Recall driving by this area 20 years ago and it was a huge cornfield then. In fact, this was the edge of town.

But am curious as to all that concrete for a vertical ? Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Can you enlighten me ?

Jerry n9avy