From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Molon
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:00 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Hustler 6BTV

Mike,
Sounds like it's going well.

If you lived in CT you wouldn't even begin to think about doing this until May.

Everything here is frozen solid.

Don't worry It will be great when finished. There will be so much DX you won't know what to do with it all.

Joe
KA1PPV #1482

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 04:53 PM, Mike Besemer wrote:

> Nice! I guess I’m qualified… I’m always in the hole some way or another!

Well, I just broke ground. Had to find the exact site that was not
visible from mama’s chair in the sunroom. I think I found the right
spot – and if not I’ll have to ask for forgiveness (again). I might
have to remove a tree branch at the far end so I can tilt the antenna
over, but that won’t be a problem if necessary.

We had over an inch of rain Sunday, so I figured I’d better strike
when the iron was soft. Got down about 2 feet and about a foot in
diameter. Need to go a foot deeper and 6” bigger around, but at least
I haven’t hit Kaolin yet. I'm going to set two 4 x 4's three feet in
the ground (in concrete) with the mast between them tilting at about
the 4' 6" mark. The antenna is supposed to be 25' high, so figuring
just a bit of mast above the 4 x 4's, my 30' clear-zone should be
okay. (I hope!) Mama is taking my truck to Florida this weekend, so
I'd better go get some concrete mix or I'll be hauling it in the back
of my son's Ford Focus.

Mike
WM4B

From: Rick - N7WE To: 070Club@groups.io Sent: Tuesday, January 30,
2018 2:05 PM

Dick-
I have the Hustler ground mounted over 40 radials of differing length
- due to the lot. The shortest is about 15 feet and the longest about
28 feet. The Hustler has DXEngineering 12m and 17m add-ons, and I can
tune without cutting any tubes. Here's the readings from the MFJ259B
SWR R X
3.580 1.0 50 3
7.035 1.1 38 0
7.070 1.2 36 0
10.140 1.1 54 8
14.070 1.1 42 0
18.100 1.0 52 3
21.070 1.1 46 6
24.920 1.1 72 0
28.120 1.0 64 0
I follow the DXEngineering guide - Chapter 7 - for tuning instead of
the Hustler's instructions. If you don't have it, you can download it
HERE in PDF format. Good luck and I hope that helps. Let me know!