From: Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>
Date: 1/30/18 12:15 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Another go at 160m tonight

Anyone going to play tonight?  I'd love to catch a few new calls tonight.  I know there were a couple on last night I didn't get to work.

Mike
WM4B
On Jan 30, 2018 12:48 PM, Rick - N7WE <n7we1980@...> wrote:
Dick I saw you briefly but couldn't get you long enough to work you. Sorry, would have liked to pay you back for the grids on your trip! The website I used was https://k5acl.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/adding-160-meters-to-a-hustler-6btv/ I used the same basic approach with the wire running horizontally toward the peak of my roof. I started out with a wire length of 24 feet. I could only work off the auto tuner in the K3 for trimming as the MFJ259B chose not to work on 160m - to much local RF and I don't have their adjustable filter. And my Daiwa CN-801 just isn't accurate enough. I ended up at 19' 6" which got me to about a 3:1 on the antenna itself, and the K3 internal tuner brought it to 1.1:1. Lots of hoisting it up and letting it down. But last night made it worth the effort! Good luck if you have a go at it.

One other note: I did drop one of the 3/32 allen head setscrews in the grass when I was changing out the whip for the wire. Didn't even bother to look for it. Just made a hardware store run this morning for a replacement. Bought several hi hi!

Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director