Re: Another go at 160m tonight

Richard Rohrer

Rick, Thanks for the info.  Have you gotten your 6BTV to resonate on 30 and 40 mtrs.  I have 42 radials down and I find that the antenna has lowest SWR on 30 at 9.995 mHz and 40 around 7.000 mHz.  I have adjusted the trap for 30, but could not get it down very much.  I am thinking about shorting the tubing for 40 to move up the band a little.  My IC7410 tuner can get the SWR down, but I would like to have both bands resonate a little higher in frequency. 

Dick – KC3EF

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick - N7WE
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:49 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Another go at 160m tonight

Dick I saw you briefly but couldn't get you long enough to work you.  Sorry, would have liked to pay you back for the grids on your trip!  The website I used was https://k5acl.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/adding-160-meters-to-a-hustler-6btv/  I used the same basic approach with the wire running horizontally toward the peak of my roof.  I started out with a wire length of 24 feet.  I could only work off the auto tuner in the K3 for trimming as the MFJ259B chose not to work on 160m - to much local RF and I don't have their adjustable filter.  And my Daiwa CN-801 just isn't accurate enough.    I ended up at 19' 6" which got me to about a 3:1 on the antenna itself, and the K3 internal tuner brought it to 1.1:1. Lots of hoisting it up and letting it down.  But last night made it worth the effort!  Good  luck if you have a go at it. 

One other note:  I did drop one of the 3/32 allen head setscrews in the grass when I was changing out the whip for the wire.  Didn't even bother to look for it.  Just made a hardware store run this morning for a replacement.  Bought several hi hi!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.