Re: Winter Field Day

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Matt,
U R right.  It was fun.  I never entered WFD before but the sheer number of hams on 40m changed my mind quick.  This year I was 1H CT because I am still putting together my mobile setup so next time I may be freezing the buttocks off up here in CT.  I really envied those hams that were in FL or AZ and outside.  I have the utmost respect for those who were outside up in the frozen north country.  Polar Bear Club for sure.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:47 PM, Matthew King - AK4MK wrote:

Winter Field Day was a great lot of fun here for W4CVY (Columbus, GA Amateur Radio Club) this year!

We did quite a bit of PSK operation, lots of CW, lots of SSB, and even managed to get a 160m antenna up across the rifle range at the blackpowder facility we were graciously granted access to for our event.

With my whole hear, I'd recommend that y'all get your various clubs to look into it for next year. Last year it had a few hundred people involved after nearly dying out the year before, but a new group of guys have grabbed the bull by the horns and rousted up several thousand people this year. It should be larger still next year!  It was GREAT fun!

Y'all study on it - check out the facebook page for "Winter Field Day".

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Okay ...   so I got hooked into this event last night around 0200 UTC on 80m. I was going to stay out of it, but no other bands were open.  Haven't that much activity on 80m in a long time. Hung around until 0645 UTC and it was still going, but activity was starting to dwindle.  Heard  AK4MK and KK4HEG .

That was a lot of activity on 80m PSK  which begs the question, why isn't 80m is use more ?  This would be great if 80 was open because a lot more members could work on their 366. When I worked on mine I operated a lot of 80m.

(  On a footnote I noticed in the WFD rules that it was specifically stated "No FT-8 Allowed" !)

Heard on 80m last night were just about all the states except for AK & HI , but I saw someone working a KL7 who may have been in AK or stateside.

Think that 070 members should explore more 80m contacts before spring arrives.  Also worked a station in PA  who wanted to work 160m , but was chased off by the contest and told him there was a group of PODXS members looking to operate 160 and he should look for them next weekend. .  Next weekend may be good for 160m, keep your fingers crossed.

That's my report from Illinois, land of taxes and the best politicians money can buy !

n9avy