Re: Winter Field Day

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
No FT8.  That's why there was so much PSK31.  Loved it.  I wasn't going to get in but there were so many stations on 40m I couldn't resist.  Too bad it wasn't like that all the time.  You would be able to do WTW in a week.  I checked 20m but only made a few Q's.  The real action was on 40m the whole time.  Just like the old days.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Okay ...   so I got hooked into this event last night around 0200 UTC on 80m. I was going to stay out of it, but no other bands were open.  Haven't that much activity on 80m in a long time. Hung around until 0645 UTC and it was still going, but activity was starting to dwindle.  Heard  AK4MK and KK4HEG .

That was a lot of activity on 80m PSK  which begs the question, why isn't 80m is use more ?  This would be great if 80 was open because a lot more members could work on their 366. When I worked on mine I operated a lot of 80m.

(  On a footnote I noticed in the WFD rules that it was specifically stated "No FT-8 Allowed" !)

Heard on 80m last night were just about all the states except for AK & HI , but I saw someone working a KL7 who may have been in AK or stateside.

Think that 070 members should explore more 80m contacts before spring arrives.  Also worked a station in PA  who wanted to work 160m , but was chased off by the contest and told him there was a group of PODXS members looking to operate 160 and he should look for them next weekend. .  Next weekend may be good for 160m, keep your fingers crossed.

That's my report from Illinois, land of taxes and the best politicians money can buy !

n9avy