Re: Winter Field Day

Randy True

I'm usually up around 6am and I start on 160 and move up as the morning goes and  get little on n160 or 80.

I don't know. I's nice and quiet and the stations that do turn up are easy to work.

Randy W4RTT

From: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io> on behalf of Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:47 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Winter Field Day

Winter Field Day was a great lot of fun here for W4CVY (Columbus, GA Amateur Radio Club) this year!

We did quite a bit of PSK operation, lots of CW, lots of SSB, and even managed to get a 160m antenna up across the rifle range at the blackpowder facility we were graciously granted access to for our event.

With my whole hear, I'd recommend that y'all get your various clubs to look into it for next year. Last year it had a few hundred people involved after nearly dying out the year before, but a new group of guys have grabbed the bull by the horns and rousted up several thousand people this year. It should be larger still next year!  It was GREAT fun!

Y'all study on it - check out the facebook page for "Winter Field Day".

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Okay ...   so I got hooked into this event last night around 0200 UTC on 80m. I was going to stay out of it, but no other bands were open.  Haven't that much activity on 80m in a long time. Hung around until 0645 UTC and it was still going, but activity was starting to dwindle.  Heard  AK4MK and KK4HEG .

That was a lot of activity on 80m PSK  which begs the question, why isn't 80m is use more ?  This would be great if 80 was open because a lot more members could work on their 366. When I worked on mine I operated a lot of 80m.

(  On a footnote I noticed in the WFD rules that it was specifically stated "No FT-8 Allowed" !) 

Heard on 80m last night were just about all the states except for AK & HI , but I saw someone working a KL7 who may have been in AK or stateside.

Think that 070 members should explore more 80m contacts before spring arrives.  Also worked a station in PA  who wanted to work 160m , but was chased off by the contest and told him there was a group of PODXS members looking to operate 160 and he should look for them next weekend. .  Next weekend may be good for 160m, keep your fingers crossed.

That's my report from Illinois, land of taxes and the best politicians money can buy !

n9avy

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.