Re: Antennas

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I was just reading the instructions for my Gap Titan and they actually recommend against the use of any such grease.

I remember building my Butternut beam and having to use that nasty copper Butter-it's-Not grease they provide. Naturally, I got more of it on me than I did on the antenna.

Mike
WM4B

On Jan 7, 2018 12:06 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
FYI

If anyone took their brand new aluminium antenna out of the box and just stuck it all together, you need to put conductive grease between all sections. This paste goes by a variety of names and is sold at Home Depot. Lowe's, Maenard's , most electrical supply house and even hardware stores.

This grease probably should be replaced after lots of years in use as there may be oxidation in the joints. That why antennas sometimes require a bit of TLC. Water gets in a lot of places where it seems impossible. Be sure to use conductive grease liberally . It's okay it a big glob of it comes out at joint. Just wipe it off.

Have had an antenna with oxidation problems in past. Changing grease corrected problem.

Jerry