Re: Words of wisdom

Joseph Molon <ljl2002@...>

Jerry,
Ha Ha Ha.  I did the exact same thing while I was stationed in Germany.  We would wait until there was  a few inches of snow and we would head out on the tarmac (after getting clearance that no Chinooks were inbound) and began doing doughnuts and getting up to 20 mph and slamming on the brakes to see if we could control the car. (this was before anti-lock brakes)  Several of my buddies joined in and we began doing multi-360's.  What a blast.  There was never a chance of hitting anything because we had a huge tarmac.  The Germans watched and chalked it up to those crazy Americans.  They will do anything.
All this baffoonery paid off for me about two weeks later when I found myself in a real road situation in the snow.  Hit the brakes and safely controlled the car.  Could have ended very badly otherwise.  Still, it was a load of fun in the snow.  Kind of like a demo derby without the demo.
Ahhh... those were the days.

Joe
KA1PPV  #1482

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 01:47 PM, Jerry N9AVY wrote:

Just heard this one on 20m PSK ...      " ... locals have never driven on this stuff before and there are accidents all over ..."

Obviously referring to snow and ice... been there saw that years ago.  People in those climates tend to drive on "Bald Eagles" and have never driven on slick surfaces before.  When I got my drivers license there was a shopping center nearby which had a clear iced over parking lot; so took my vehicle (2 WD)  out a did donuts with every intention of losing control, but I quickly learned how to make a recovery from skids and spins.  Later, driving in all kids of weather it paid off; especially on "black ice".

Maybe someone could open up an ice rink in the South for the same reasons and make a fortune charging $100+  an hour for the thrill of what we experience every Winter up North ?