From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
whoeler
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:16 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] ARRL Grid 2018

I’m working 17M all morning
So far have 15 new states on this mode
37 new grids on FT8
10 new countries

FT8 great way to work dx on low power

========================
         de N2MLP Brian
       Monroe County PA

========================

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ray Clements
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 12:08 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io

I have always used PSK Reporter.info maps to track band/mode activity.

Currently (4:46 UTC), they are showing 70 PSK31 signals being heard by
monitoring stations on all bands in the past 15 minutes, with almost half of
those signals on 20 meters. There is some DX traffic between the US and
Canada and various parts of Europe. so that is promising.

However, in contrast, there are 2437 signals using FT8 in that same 15 min
period involving stations in North America, South America, the Carribean,
Europe, Asia (including Japan), South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Although the largest number of signals are on 20 meters, there are some on
every band from 160 meters up to 6 meters

I have not tried FT8, but I have got to admit that with poor band conditions
during weak solar cycles, modes like FT8 and JT9/JT65 might be the best
option for making contacts, especially if you are looking for DX. As a
proponent of PSK, and PSK31 in particular, that is not an easy admission for
me to make.

Ray N9RWC