Re: A/C Replacement Advice Pls! #acreplacement

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

Matt beat me to the punch.  Exact same scenario here with the new Trane.  Electric bill cut exactly in half, system runs much less, extremely quiet, controls humidity in the house +/- 2% and zero RFI.

Mike
WM4B

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Matthew King - KK4CPS wrote:

 Mine is a two stage compressor and variable speed blower in the air handler, just for an FYI.  I've not noticed any RFI on any band.  I can't promise that you won't, but I haven't.

You can realize real cost savings with a new blower and two stage compressor. We have a 4 ton unit and went from the old system running 18 hrs a day and it still remaining 82-84 degrees in the house on 95+ degree days to running reasonably and maintaining it at 75 in the house with no trouble. Dang near cut our power bill in half.

Food for thought...

Matt
AK4MK

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Rick - N7WE < n7we1980@...> wrote:
Thjanks for the quick responses and the advice guys.  Greatly appreciated.  Here's what I know so far:
1) Our 16 year old unit is a Lennox that uses R-22 refrigerant.  R-22 will no longer be manufactured or sold after 2020 (Thank you government!)  So even if I repair and recharge the current one, it can't be repaired after 2020. - New unit is only reasonable answer.
2) The contract will definitely have a "no RFI" clause added.
3) Rheem and Goodman get good internet reviews.
4) From what I read on the internet, the RFI problems come mostly from the "variable speed" models.  They are supposedly the best for comfort, but 2 stage compressor models and single stage compressor models are still made.  So I think we are looking at an old style single stage compressor, and do not replace the constant speed air handler motor please!  Our old unit made no RFI from the compressor, the control unit, nor the air handler.  More later.  Again many many tnz