Re: KN4 calls - blast from the past !

Steve VA3FLF/KM4FLF

So maybe I was issued WA4 much later in 70s and that’s why I could not find it looking in early 70s. Dang, I not only am I old, I’m forgetting stuff now. 
I do know I joined Uncle Sams Army in 1978, so was before then.

Steve 

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2017, at 19:20, Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

My WN8 call was issued in the mid-70’s.

Mike

WM4B

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve R via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:00 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] KN4 calls - blast from the past !

When did the WN stop being issued? I got my novice sometime around 1973 or 74. My call was WA4QZP. I could never find my original ticket....buried in 40 years of stuff at Mom and Dad”s place. I was told all those old records were lost at the FCC. 

Steve

KM4FLF

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2017, at 18:53, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Those 2x1 and  1x2 calls go like hot cakes.  People are waiting for years and pounce on them.   There are web pages devoted to them with lots of data as to when they expire, belong to an SK, etc.   If you know the SK's heirs, you can get one of them to sign off on it and the FCC will give you a grant almost immediately.   That's how W9CA  got reissued as a Club call. Yet, the original W9CA's license plate "W9CA"  (IL  white letters on red background) still hangs in the Elmhurst (IL) Portillo's.

My old WD9HQQ call has not been reissued and rightfully so  ...  it was a pain in CW.

Jerry  n9avy

To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:40 PM

I started out as WN8AGD, then became WD8AGD when I upgraded to Technician.  When I got my Extra in 1980 (I was a H.S. senior), I became KG8L. I kept that call until we built the house here in Georgia; figured I was gonna stay here – I ought to get a ‘4’ call!

I checked the other day, and WD8AGD has not been reissued.  KG8L has been reissued twice.

Mike

WM4B

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Matthew King - KK4CPS

Sent: Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:18 PM

Yup, all the new Technician calls here are KN4 here lately. I didn't realize that they were old novice calls. Neat!

Matt King

AK4MK - 070 #1708

PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Those of us who were around in the 50's & 60's might remember the KN prefix as that  for Novice licensees. If you don't that's okay.

Have worked/heard about 3  in the past few days.  Looks like the FCC ran out of prefixes and has opened up the KN4 block... figuring no one will not if they not told they have recycled calls,  hi ! hi!

It's good to see them back on the air.  My club call , K9ATI, was originally that of a high school buddy  Skip Dewell, KN9ATI, and later K9ATI.  Searched for him, but no sign anywhere.  Anyhow,  I you work a KN call outside of 4-land, you might ask if that was operators original call.

What's next ?  Reissueing W, WB, WA, WD ,K and back to N calls ???

Jerry n9avy

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.