Re: KN4 calls - blast from the past !

Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...>

I started out as WN8AGD, then became WD8AGD when I upgraded to Technician. When I got my Extra in 1980 (I was a H.S. senior), I became KG8L. I kept that call until we built the house here in Georgia; figured I was gonna stay here – I ought to get a ‘4’ call!

I checked the other day, and WD8AGD has not been reissued. KG8L has been reissued twice.

Mike
WM4B

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Matthew King - KK4CPS
Sent: Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:18 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] KN4 calls - blast from the past !

Yup, all the new Technician calls here are KN4 here lately. I didn't realize that they were old novice calls. Neat!

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Those of us who were around in the 50's & 60's might remember the KN prefix as that for Novice licensees. If you don't that's okay.

Have worked/heard about 3 in the past few days. Looks like the FCC ran out of prefixes and has opened up the KN4 block... figuring no one will not if they not told they have recycled calls, hi ! hi!

It's good to see them back on the air. My club call , K9ATI, was originally that of a high school buddy Skip Dewell, KN9ATI, and later K9ATI. Searched for him, but no sign anywhere. Anyhow, I you work a KN call outside of 4-land, you might ask if that was operators original call.

What's next ? Reissueing W, WB, WA, WD ,K and back to N calls ???

Jerry n9avy

Join main@070Club.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.