For what its worth, I like the two groups.

KI4VMK
# 2542

On Dec 5, 2017, at 7:45 PM, Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:
Think Steve may have the best solution to the quandry.

Jerry

From: Matthew King - KK4CPS <kk4cps@...>
To: 070Club@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [070Club] Checking in

You've just typed my basic thoughts, Steve. GET OUT OF MY HEAD! *BIG GRIN*

The subgroup would be fine for most, I believe, but as you said, there are some that don't want contest stuff. There are others that don't want the non-contest stuff.  I think there is a huge overlap between the two, but I think the separation that does exist is a good enough reason to have a separate group. I believe I'll work in that direction in the next few days.

Any other thoughts on the matter from anybody else?

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Stephen Melachrinos <melachri@...> wrote:
You've pointed out a down side of being a sub-group, but  I'm still trying to figure out the down side of making it a separate group. The only thing I can think of is that it's marginally more work for members to manage the settings on two groups.

Here's another reason to make it separate: The reason we set up a special contest group on Yahoo was that not all members wanted the contest emails. I know we could use hashtags to highlight contest-related messages. But if a member doesn't want contest messages, THAT member has to take the action to "opt out" of receiving contest-tagged messages. So it puts the burden on the member who DOESN'T want the messages, not the member who DOES. And even then, if someone forgets to insert #contest in their message subject, then even those who've chosen to opt out will still get the message. (Yes, I know that some of us used to occasionally put a contest message on the regular 070 list, but I think it will be easier to forget a hashtag than it was to mail to the wrong group.)

I vote for a separate group (even though we're not really voting).