Re: [070_contest] Move to GROUPS.IO vs Yahoo Groups

David Westbrook

2v quick thoughts...
 Well 3 --  very good point by Steve that it is another login (but so what, every one v already has a zillion logins).

Makeb sure to.keep the Yahoo groups for archive purposes... Just disable posting.

Not necessary to keep the separate contest group in groups.io?  Arguably wasn't needed in Yahoo (cause then could argue needc additional groups for other subtopics)...  But i believe the "i only want to see stuff I'm interest ed in" argument is satisfied by the tags/labels features in groups.io ...
I haven't used it much - maybe someone can post reference page - but threads can be tagged, and you can set it (w your login) to see/not see certain tags. E.g. a "dx spot" tag would be a good example.

-david
KJ4IZW

On Dec 1, 2017 14:59, "Matthew King - KK4CPS mrk.twg@... [070_contest]" <070_contest@...> wrote:

OK - it's official... YAHOO GROUPS SUCKS! It continues to fail us (and MANY others!) time and time again.

I want to move both of our groups to GROUPS.IO. I'm looking for anybody with firsthand knowledge of why that would be a bad idea, if there is anybody out there with such knowledge. In all the research I've done, it seems like a positive thing, and basically like a no-brainer to move there.  Here's why:

- No special log-in required, i.e. a Yahoo Group ID/account. It's just your email address, not a whole different entity.
- The groups will transition over to groups.io lock, stock, and barrel, with all information and settings intact.
- Message posting time is in the seconds, not many minutes/hours/days/weeks category that Yahoo seems to operate in here of late.
- We should be able to integrate our Facebook page (did y'all know we have one?), Google Drive, and email.
- NO ADS! NO TRACKING!
- Excellent message threading/searching
- We'd still have a calendar, polls, a database, a photo section, a file section, and we can add a WIKI. That'd be a great home for a FAQ type of arrangement, and for more information on our contests and such.

In my mind, unless there's an overwhelming level of negative responses to this email with concrete "bad stuff" about groups.io, we'll be moving there soon, just everyone knows the "mindset of the executive director" on this issue.

Please, I'm looking for feedback from anybody, anywhere.

73, y'all!

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director